Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Take a Step and Initiate

Recently, I was on a plane flying back home. Christy sat beside me.

I said hello and initiated small talk. Where are you from? Where are you headed? Is it a business trip or for pleasure? Christy shared freely.

Talking while in a plane is not easy for me because I get motion sickness. Being sleepy from taking Dramamine does not help either. As I was silently reflecting on Jesus and what He has done for me, I kept wondering where Christy might be spiritually. Has she heard about the good news of Christ?

So, I took another step after our brief conversation had died down. I asked her more about her life. About her current dating relationship she had mentioned. I genuinely wanted to know and was curious how she got where she was in life and in her dating relationship. Christy responded and opened up. 

Christy mentioned she went to a mainline church. I knew that that particular church taught a view of "earning" heaven that was contrary to what Scripture taught.

I also silently prayed, "Lord, I'd like to tell Christy about how to know You personally, about your Gospel. Please help me. Open her heart." 

In our discussion, I had mentioned that in dating relationships, I think it's important to share the same core values and why. Faith is one of those core values. Christy agreed. Spring-boarding from that, I briefly told Christy about how I came to put my faith and trust in Jesus Christ.

The plane began its descent and I wanted Christy to know how do to that too if she wanted. So I shared the Gospel and how God has solved our sin problem through Jesus Christ and what He did. However, we must personally receive that gift. We genuinely confess we are a sinner and personally ask Jesus Christ to come into our life, repenting of our sin and giving Him full control. And God will make us new and give us everlasting life!

It was a privilege to tell Christy what the Bible says about a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and letting Him be our sin-bearer.

Yet, would Christy have initiated with me had I not initiated with her? I doubt it.

Jesus wants us to initiate with others for Him. It often starts with simply taking a step and initiating with someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment