Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Sarah and Submission


Like most wives, the word “submission” is not something I usually want to hear. Or do.

Submitting to my husband is not natural in my innate sinful self.

However, if we balk at submitting to our husbands when we should submit, we dishonor our Savior. Our sinful disobedience can also tragically thwart God's purposes and all He wants to accomplish.

Consider Sarah, the wife of our great patriarch of the faith, Abraham. 

What would have happened if Sarah had said “No” to Abraham when he said God had called them to leave their country and move to a new land that He would show them?

Sarah could have protested:
“But I don’t want to leave my family and friends.”   
“I don’t like change and I don’t want to move.”
“I enjoy my life and work here, I can’t give that up.”

Sarah could have chosen to not submit to her husband.

Consider the consequences of that. If Sarah had demanded to stay, then the nations could never have been blessed through all that God had for Abraham and Sarah. Consider what those nations—which includes numerous generations and thousands of believers in Christ today by faithwould have missed. All because one wife might have listened to her fears or demanded her way.

How is a submissive heart cultivated? 

I Peter 3:5-6 offers insight. Verses 3 and 4 tell women not to let our adornment be merely outward in terms of arranging our hair or what we wear, but to let it be the hidden person of the heart. Cultivate the inner, incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit. That is very precious to God! 

In reliance on the Holy Spirit, that gentle and quiet spirit will govern our heart, will and emotions. In that blessed place, He asks us to yield. We first submit wholeheartedly to our loving Lord and Master. Then we do whatever He asks, which includes submitting to our husband.

Look at Sarah again. Verse 6, “Thus Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord, and you have become her children if you do what is right without being frightened by any fear.”

I believe that “Doing what is right” here refers to Sarah submitting to her husband. And that is what women of God, in the lineage of Sarah and Abraham by faith, do. Willingly. In obedience. Out of reverence for our God and Savior. And as we do, God reminds us not to be frightened (or ruled) by fear.

Recently, I faced an issue involving submission. Fear sprang up. Quietly yielding again to the Lord, I submitted. Not my will but yours Lord. Then His peace filled me. I still have to push some doubts and lies of the enemy away, but the supernatural peace is from God. 

It comes when we “do what is right” like Sarah did.

No comments:

Post a Comment