Friday, April 27, 2012

The Lure of Boasting



Tyler had a major part in planning, recruiting and putting on a 5-day seminar in Atlanta for a Christian organization. In his summary report afterwards, Tyler mentioned that he had taught at the seminar. A friend of mine who attended the seminar told me that Tyler did fine giving some announcements to the whole group. However, Tyler never taught.

Beware of taking credit for something that is not true. It is quite tempting because we want to look good, sound good, or seem important or impressive. I wonder if perhaps Tyler liked the spotlight a little too much.

I remember a conversation with a colleague, Trina. I told Trina about an idea I had. A few minutes later, as I walked by, I overheard Trina tell Eric about an “idea she had.” Only it was my idea she was talking about! Trina led Eric to believe it was her idea.

Beware of the lure of boasting, of taking undue credit, misrepresenting or maneuvering something to look better, sound better, or impress. At the core, it lacks integrity and it is pride. First Peter 5:5 tells us that God opposes the proud.  

Jeremiah 9:23-24 says, “Thus says the LORD, ‘Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, that I am the LORD who exercises lovingkindness, justice, and righteousness on earth; for I delight in these things,’ declares the LORD.”

Have you perhaps taken undue credit or boasted somehow? Then be quick to confess.

The beauty and wonder of our God is that He also gives grace to the humble.

No comments:

Post a Comment